Sengkang.com Forum Index

Are Singaporeans bad drivers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sengkang.com Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Q: Do you think Singaporeans are bad drivers?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 11 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Tong888
Gold Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Are Singaporeans bad drivers? Reply with quote

Are Singaporeans bad drivers?

By Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

I UNDERSTAND, yet at the same time, I don't.

I can imagine the shock a biker gets when he suddenly sees his life flash before him because of the recklessness of another road user.

In those milliseconds, your hands shake uncontrollably with fear as you try to avoid slamming into the other vehicle.

Soon this fear turns to anger.

When that happened to biker Mohammad Nazib Saptu recently, he went into a flying rage on two wheels.

On Nov 29, The New Paper reported on how Mr Mohammad Nazib had tailed driver Jonathan Wong, who admitted to switching lanes without signalling, for 20km, to a carpark in Woodlands.

Four days later, there was another report about a road rage incident where a man waved a bat angrily at another motorist over a traffic incident along Upper Changi Road.

And just yesterday, we carried a report on how a motorist had a run-in with actor Pierre Png on the Pan Island Expressway (PIE).

Perhaps it's only natural to want to give an errant motorist a piece of your mind for endangering your life.

I empathise with motorists who find themselves in similar situations.

You try to get the driver's attention after the near-accident, but all you get from the driver is a blank stare which seems to say: "What did I do? It's not my fault."

But when and where does it all end?

My support for Mr Mohammad Nazib stopped the minute he grabbed Mr Wong by his collar.

Angry drivers, angry readers

Not surprisingly, readers were "fired up" with this issue.

Related stories

Drivers can be arrogant and selfish

Revoke road bully's licence

'Bat man' update: Police report lodged but not by driver

Pierre Png accused of being 'road menace'
Most blamed the driver for endangering the biker's life while others said Mr Mohammad Nazib was wrong for taking the law into his own hands. Some even hailed the biker as a "hero" for standing up to the driver.

Whether biker or driver, we can expect our roads to get more crowded as the vehicle population grows.

But are we doomed to accept more inconsiderate motoring habits and more incidents of road rage? It doesn't have to be so.

Take my experience of driving and riding in the four years I lived on Oahu in the US state of Hawaii.

Oahu, like Singapore, is an island. While it has a population of only about a million and is almost double the land size of Singapore, its peak hour jams are comparable to Singapore's, especially on highways.

But on Oahu, and similarly on Hawaii's seven sister islands, you're less likely to see an offensive sign flashed at you or get murderous stares.

What you can expect is to see the "shaka", also known as the "hang loose sign" from the motorist you've just offended.

Locals say it has to do with the Hawaiian concepts of Ohana and Aloha - literally translated into family and love.

"Even if you're not related, it's all good," said a Hawaiian university mate of mine.

"We forgive and share what little we have...even roads, too."

We may not understand how it works.

But it's worth learning from the Hawaiians how we can make driving or riding more pleasurable here.

And all it requires is for motorists to make the first move and simply say, "I'm sorry".

Not
Honorary Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rather than good/bad driver, i think its more about attitude
Bumblebee
Silver Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With costs of owning and usage of car ever-going higher and higher................. don't blame some drivers began to think, to feel, that they have the rights to be arrogant or snobbish where ever their wheels took them, as if they own the place/s. Sly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sengkang.com Forum Index -> GENERAL DISCUSSION All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: