Sengkang.com Forum Index

What's Up North (Woodlands) and Over the Causeway!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sengkang.com Forum Index -> WELCOME, FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RN53

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Minister Khaw Boon Wan
This entry was posted on Sunday, December 8th, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Two Game Changers Get A Boost

Last Friday evening, I co-chaired the Joint Ministerial Committee for Iskandar Malaysia (IM) meeting with Malaysian Minister Abdul Wahid Omar at Nusajaya, IM. Minister Lui Tuck Yew and Johor Menteri Besar Khaled Nordin were also present.

We focused on the two game changing transport projects: Rapid Transit System (RTS) link between JB and Woodlands; High Speed Rail (HSR) link between KL and Singapore.

The RTS link is making progress. Our consultants have finished Phase I of the technical study. We received and accepted the report, and the project can now move into its next phase.

Meanwhile, the HSR has excited many people from both sides of the Causeway, and also the train manufacturers. We were briefed at the meeting on the Malaysian study. It is a complex project with many issues to address, from financing to engineering and border security control. There are many HSR projects around the world but cross-border HSR is rare. A prominent example is the London-Paris HSR, which offers a useful reference.

At the meeting, we also agreed to set up a Work Group for the HSR, so that our experts can dive into the many complex details and assess the options.

These are two game changing projects worthy of pursuit. We must, however, make sure they are optimally designed to meet the needs of our people.

Our meeting ended at 10 pm. The UMNO General Assembly was in session and the Malaysian leaders drove back to KL immediately after our meeting. It is a long drive and they would have reached KL at around 3 am! We deeply appreciate their coming down to JB to attend the meeting. In the future, when the HSR runs, travelling between our two capitals will be much faster and no longer such a hassle!

RN53

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/proper...-singapore-buyers

Demand hotting up for new developments surrounding the future rapid transit system (RTS) and CIQ complex.

RN53

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something big is coming, across the causeway, Princess Cove.
http://theprincesscove.com

RN53

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-s...ing-town-20140227

Woodlands: From back of the woods to a buzzing town
This article was first published in The Straits Times on Dec 27, 2013.
PUBLISHED ON MAR 14, 2014 5:59 AM

BY AMELIA TENG
BACK in the late 1980s, Mr Terry Liew, a Woodlands resident, found it nearly impossible to find a cab driver who would send him to his home.

Said Mr Liew, 46, who was then a navy regular in his early 20s working at the naval base at Pulau Brani: "I remember I was so mad I asked one cabby why no one wanted to drive me home.

"He told me if he went to Woodlands, he would never get any passenger on the way out."

To many, the suburban town in the north, which derived its name from the rubber tree plantations in the area when it was a kampung, has always been ulu (remote in Malay), rural and far away from the rest of the population.

But things have changed over the last three decades and Woodlands is now a more developed and populated estate.

Today, there are more than 200,000 Housing Board residents in Woodlands and another 200,000 in the neighbouring Yishun and Sembawang towns.

Woodlands residents are glad to see more facilities, like schools and parks, being built.

In the last 10 years, for instance, schools like the Singapore Sports School, Republic Polytechnic and Innova Junior College have sprung up in the area.

In 2010, Causeway Point reopened with a wider variety of shops and eateries after a $72 million facelift, giving residents an alternative to downtown shopping.

Shops like Uniqlo and Dorothy Perkins, and restaurants like Paradise Dynasty can now be found there.

Madam Siti Hussin, 45, an assistant manager in a cargo shipping company who has lived in Woodlands for 15 years, said: "It's like a mini-Ion and I really like it because there are so many shops. There's no real need to go down to town so often now."

Further north, the $19 million Woodlands Waterfront, an 11ha coastal park that was completed two years ago, is frequented by nature-lovers, joggers, cyclists and families alike.

Mr Liew, a sales manager, who has lived in Woodlands for 33 years, said: "I'm happy that the old Woodlands has turned into what it is today.

"We have always lagged behind our neighbours like Yishun in terms of development."

Even bigger plans are in store for the town, as the Government plans for it to become a major employment hub in the north of the country.

Woodlands will house one of four regional centres that serve as business hubs outside the city centre.

The first two started in Tampines in 1992 and in Jurong in 2008. There are plans for a fourth in Seletar.

Last week, a prime plot of land in Woodlands Avenue 5 was launched for sale, kickstarting the development of the Woodlands Regional Centre.

Under the Urban Redevelopment Authority's latest Draft Master Plan unveiled last month, some 7 million sq ft of new commercial space is planned for the Woodlands Regional Centre, made up of two precincts.

The first is a retail hub called Woodlands Central, a 30ha area around Woodlands MRT and Causeway Point, and the second is the 70ha Woodlands North Coast, located between Republic Polytechnic and Woodlands Waterfront, which will be for business and lifestyle uses.

In addition, the Woodlands MRT station will be an interchange linking the North-South Line with the new Thomson Line.

There are plans for a future rail link to Johor Baru.

Residents are looking forward to these developments as they will add buzz and jobs to the area.

Said Madam Siti: "As I grow older, it'd be good if I can find a job near my home."

But mom-and-pop shop owners in other parts of Woodlands said they are uncertain what these big changes mean for them.

Some, like hardware shop owner David Neo, 52, is hopeful that he can benefit from the spillover effects.

"It's too early to say, but I hope the changes bring more crowds to the rest of Woodlands," said Mr Neo, who has been running his shop in Marsiling Lane for 17 years.

Provision shop manager Abdullah Ahmad, 66, echoed Mr Neo's sentiment, saying: "If more people come to live here, maybe it will become busier."

For now, residents are glad that Woodlands is no longer the "ghost town" it once was.

Said mechanic Billy Wan, 45, who moved there in 1995: "It was a bit scary and quiet last time. But now it's different.

"Along the waterfront, people go for evening strolls, picnics, cycle or fish."

Mr Francis Toh, 39, co-owner of Rasa Istimewa Woodlands Waterfront Restaurant, which opened at the waterfront in November last year, said: "People like to come here for special occasions like birthdays because of the sunset, scenery and sea breeze."

But as Woodlands becomes busier in the next 10 to 15 years, some hope it will not become too packed with people.

"Some hustle and bustle is good, but when things get too congested, I may have second thoughts on living here," said Mr Wan.

ateng@sph.com.sg

- See more at: http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-s...ash.cdi16osh.dpuf

Npg
Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the HSR will not be going to woodlands. Jurong huat liao but not woodlands? Razz
RN53

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Npg wrote:
Looks like the HSR will not be going to woodlands. Jurong huat liao but not woodlands? Razz

It was mentioned sometimes back, I think it was PM's National Day Rally, about the 3 possible locations as mentioned for the KL-SG High Speed Rail. With the relocation of the container terminals at Telok Blangah, maybe the Old Railway Station could be the perfect site. If my speculative foresight is accurate, I think this HSR, Singapore Station will be integrated/linked to the North-East Line station NE2 and also the last linkup station to complete the Circle Line. Take notice of my predictions for this point. And, sorry, Jurong don't get to enjoy the HSR thing.
On the parallel note, Woodlands will be great with the JB-SG MRT connection to the Thomson-East Coast Line. It will be an affordable & very convenient alternative via MRT into Jaybee and the other parts of Johor. The average regular visitors/workers either way across The Johor Straits will prefer this route, more direct and faster. And I am loving it!
http://www.spad.gov.my/sites/default/files/img-3.png
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapor...-kl-rail-stations
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/med...nes_20140408.html

Npg
Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RN53 wrote:
Npg wrote:

It was mentioned sometimes back, I think it was PM's National Day Rally, about the 3 possible locations as mentioned for the KL-SG High Speed Rail. With the relocation of the container terminals at Telok Blangah, maybe the Old Railway Station could be the perfect site. If my speculative foresight is accurate, I think this HSR, Singapore Station will be integrated/linked to the North-East Line station NE2 and also the last linkup station to complete the Circle Line. Take notice of my predictions for this point. And, sorry, Jurong don't get to enjoy the HSR thing.
On the parallel note, Woodlands will be great with the JB-SG MRT connection to the Thomson-East Coast Line. It will be an affordable & very convenient alternative via MRT into Jaybee and the other parts of Johor. The average regular visitors/workers either way across The Johor Straits will prefer this route, more direct and faster. And I am loving it!
http://www.spad.gov.my/sites/default/files/img-3.png
http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapor...-kl-rail-stations
http://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/med...nes_20140408.html

Ok I will take note of it. So based on what you said, both woodlands and jurong will not get to enjoy HSR Razz
RN53

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Npg wrote:

Ok I will take note of it. So based on what you said, both woodlands and jurong will not get to enjoy HSR Razz

Yeap, the HSR is for travels between KL-SG and Putrajaya, Seremban, Ayer Keroh, Muar, Batu Pahat and Nusajaya in between. Sly

RN53

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High-speed rail project may be delayed

Singapore’s Ministry of Transport said it will discuss with Malaysia “its assessment that realistically the project may take beyond 2020 to complete”, reported the media.

The statement follows a Bloomberg interview of Malaysia’s Land Public Transport Commission Chairman Syed Hamid Albar, in which he said the high-speed rail (HSR) project may need six to seven years to complete once construction commences by 2016.

This implies a delay of two to three years beyond the 2020 deadline earlier announced by Malaysia Prime Minister Najib Razak and his Singapore counterpart Lee Hsien Loong. Notably, the rail link was unveiled by the two leaders in 2013 and is expected to reduce travel time between the two cities to 90 minutes.

Syed Hamid explained that there may be problems with the original timeline since the governments may have to consider other factors in addition to construction.

“I suspect the (Malaysia) government is at the stage where they are mulling over the financing of this project. How are they going to do this without affecting the target on fiscal deficit and achieving a balanced budget by 2020?” he said.

Commenting on Syed Hamid’s statements, Singapore’s Transport Ministry said: “As far as we know, we are still working towards project completion by 2020 as agreed by the two Prime Ministers. We have not received any indication from Malaysia that it intends to delay the project beyond 2020. Our feasibility studies are on track to be completed next year and bilateral discussions with Malaysia are ongoing.”
http://www.propertyguru.com.my/proper...utm_content=links

RN53

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2014...-riles-singapore/

Malaysian $150bn mega-project riles Singapore
By Gavin Bowring and Hafiz Noor Shams

Only a few hundred meters from Singapore, the sleepy fishing villages that flank the Malaysia-Singapore Second Bridge, to the west of Johor Bahru’s famous Iskandar development, feel a world away from skyscrapers and hustle.

But this is set to change. Country Garden, one of China’s largest real estate developers, has bought a huge 1,800 hectare area of land and sea, and has made progress on developing “Forest City”, a planned mega-project almost entirely built on four separate reclaimed islands.

When completed, it would be even larger than Singapore’s Sentosa Island and have a skyline reminiscent of Dubai or Shanghai’s Pudong district.........

...........................Growing connectivity across the straits – including the planned Malaysia-Singapore high speed rail and a proposed extension of Singapore’s MRT – lend support to the notion that this price gap will narrow over time, particularly given Malaysia’s practice of granting permanent residency to some foreign buyers...........................

RN53

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Five places in Singapore where you can buy wholesale goods. Reply with quote

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sing...-wholesale-goods-

Five places in Singapore where you can buy wholesale goods

RN53

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forward-looking to developments in the North, Woodlands!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0XUDFaJ9WU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sengkang.com Forum Index -> WELCOME, FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: