Joined: 09 Aug 2006
Location: Compassvale Dr
|Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 am Post subject: More than $170k in bus refunds unclaimed
|ASIAONE / MOTORING / NEWS / STORY
Thursday, Sep 29, 2011
More than $170k in bus refunds unclaimed
More than half of commuters who were overcharged for their bus fares last year did not claim their refunds.
Passengers were overcharged by $316,006 in all. But only $138,281 was claimed, The Straits Times said on Thursday.
The unclaimed money - $177,725 in all - has been donated by bus operators SBS Transit and SMRT to the Public Transport Fund, which helps needy families with their transport costs. The fund is disbursed by voluntary welfare organisations.
Passengers were overcharged when a new distance-based fare was introduced in July last year.
The new system would have fairly charged commuters would be fairly charged based on how far they travel instead of penalising them for trip transfers.
But bus operators forgot to take into factor detours caused by roadworks and ended up overcharging or undercharging commuters by distance.
The fault, fixed in November 2010, meant that on affected journeys, commuters were overcharged four cents more on average. Those who were undercharged did not have to pay back their fares. The fault was fixed in November.
Those who had missed out on the refunds will not be able to apply for one anymore, the report said.
A Land Transport Authority spokesman told the paper that the refund period was extended once and there were enough avenues for commuters to make their claims.