Sengkang.com Forum Index

Gallery for Sengkang.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sengkang.com Forum Index -> WELCOME, FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sonix
Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Gallery for Sengkang.com Reply with quote

We should have gallery installed for this forum.

Have few categories like
- Sengkang landscape
- Sengkang babies
- Sengkang candid

There are many options available for phpBB2 compare to phpBB3... I'm still struggling to find decent gallery for phpBB3.

Let me know if you guys need any help.

Just a suggestion, welcome to ignore me Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy
Garu Boy
Honorary Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gd suggestion. I am ready to post my gal photo here
Chubby
Fellow Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Gallery for Sengkang.com Reply with quote

Sonix wrote:

Have few categories like
- Sengkang landscape
- Sengkang babies
- Sengkang candid

There is many options available for phpBB2 compare to phpBB3... I'm still struggling to find decent gallery for phpBB3.

Coppermine ?
Gallery 2 ?

Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are nice.

If want trouble free just buy photopost, else just use free one i guess Smile
Spiderman
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Gallery for Sengkang.com Reply with quote

Sonix wrote:

Have few categories like
- Sengkang landscape
- Sengkang babies
- Sengkang candid

There is many options available for phpBB2 compare to phpBB3... I'm still struggling to find decent gallery for phpBB3.

Chubby wrote:
Coppermine ?
Gallery 2 ?

Hi Sonix,

Thanks for your suggestion and offer to help out.

Actually I did try to install some Galleries (including the 2 mentioned by Chubby). However, I found that either it didn't work too well, or the interface is not suitable for our forum. In fact, I also explored moving to some other platform completely (like Xoops), but their photo galleries are not exactly fantastic, plus their forum is sub-standard.

I was hoping that phpBB 3 will have something better to offer. But you're saying that there is none at the moment?

Anyway, one main problem for us (or rather, for me and my pockets Lips Sealed ) is that having a gallery will take up lots of bandwidth. One alternative I am seriously thinking of exploring is to use external photo hosting websites, and creating multiple accounts for our contributors to share. What do you folks think of this?

In any case, rest be assured that I am looking constantly looking out to put up our own photo gallery. Feel free to suggest to me of any new ones that come up.

Cheers,
Spiderman
Sonix
Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiderman,

phpBB3 has very little support right now as it just goes gold (or stable version). People are still lazy to make development, mods, hacks to support phpBB3. I have installed simple one but kinda lousy, but i serve my purpose at the moment.

Take a look at http://www.naturepixels.org/phpBB3/gallery/menu.php

The author are slowly updating the code and stuff, but what i like is it match the look at feel of my website. I think sengkang.com should stay with phpBB2 till they have developed all the necessary modification sengkang.com need.

I think if you put heavy restriction on image size and image width and height it's quite manageble. Example the following photos, only take 30kb. http://www.naturepixels.org/phpBB3/ga...pic.php?pic_id=17

Another way is you only allow moderator to help the member upload photos. Only collect those nice photos through polls then upload it to sengkang.com gallery. I guess people only will look at nice one.

I don't buy idea of having external photo hosting, as user might be confuse or complain on having multiple logins.

There is many way to reduce traffics like dont let user search too often and stuff, I think you know that too. Another way is probably you can charge small fee from advertisement or mass order user. Clubsnap.org is one example. They have successfully maintain their heavy traffic website without charging normal member, this can be long term plan for sengkang.com.

If there is anything we can talk through MSN or email (tansuryadi at hotmail dot com)

Cheers
Xfactor
Titanium Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the advantages if Spidey upgrade to phpBB 3 is the use of permissions on members group to control those members who registered just to advertise. This new version have added alot of functions very useful to admin.
Sonix
Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes phpBB3 has much better architecture, should seriously considering it. The draw back is only less mods available right now.

We can share information as I'm also struggling to upgrading and maintaining my current website. One man show is tough hahaha Smile
Chubby
Fellow Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallery for Sengkang.com Reply with quote

Spiderman wrote:
Sonix wrote:

Have few categories like
- Sengkang landscape
- Sengkang babies
- Sengkang candid

Chubby wrote:
Coppermine ?
Gallery 2 ?

Hi Sonix,

Thanks for your suggestion and offer to help out.

Actually I did try to install some Galleries (including the 2 mentioned by Chubby). However, I found that either it didn't work too well, or the interface is not suitable for our forum. In fact, I also explored moving to some other platform completely (like Xoops), but their photo galleries are not exactly fantastic, plus their forum is sub-standard.

I was hoping that phpBB 3 will have something better to offer. But you're saying that there is none at the moment?

Anyway, one main problem for us (or rather, for me and my pockets Lips Sealed ) is that having a gallery will take up lots of bandwidth. One alternative I am seriously thinking of exploring is to use external photo hosting websites, and creating multiple accounts for our contributors to share. What do you folks think of this?

In any case, rest be assured that I am looking constantly looking out to put up our own photo gallery. Feel free to suggest to me of any new ones that come up.

Cheers,
Spiderman

Spidey .. dun use those free CMS gallery .. very complicated and it make the site diff to surf ..

Suggestion ..

Get another unlimited bandwidth web hosting with lots of space, just for photo gallery and use the sub domain to point to there like gallery.sengkang.com

Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dun know if u will find this useful. I'm using 4images on my personal website.
http://www.fruddy.com/gallery/

Cheers
JC

Multiply
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chubby
Fellow Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solonavi wrote:

Cheers
JC

is that you .. in your red car ?

if you wan to have the HTML link of that image .. can it be done easily with this web program ?

Ordinary Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallery for Sengkang.com Reply with quote

Chubby wrote:

Spidey .. dun use those free CMS gallery .. very complicated and it make the site diff to surf ..

Suggestion ..

Get another unlimited bandwidth web hosting with lots of space, just for photo gallery and use the sub domain to point to there like gallery.sengkang.com

Unlimited bandwidth is costly, and initially you do not need unlimited. Beside that unlimited bandwidth and space are two different thing in webhosting business.

When you put thing unlimited to user, it will become garbage. Preferable we control the quota for each user so they will do the housekeeping themselves.

CMS is not complicated if you know how to use it. It still there because people find it useful and good otherwise they should be long time gone liao.

It's the gallery software, integration with forum software and look&feel are the key factor for spidey. Free one normally quite ugly, unless we get paid one.

Just my 2 cents.
Chubby
Fellow Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Gallery for Sengkang.com Reply with quote

Sonix wrote:
Chubby wrote:

Suggestion ..

Unlimited bandwidth is costly, and initially you do not need unlimited. Beside that unlimited bandwidth and space are two different thing in webhosting business.

When you put thing unlimited to user, it will become garbage. Preferable we control the quota for each user so they will do the housekeeping themselves.

CMS is not complicated if you know how to use it. It still there because people find it useful and good otherwise they should be long time gone liao.

It's the gallery software, integration with forum software and look&feel are the key factor for spidey. Free one normally quite ugly, unless we get paid one.

Just my 2 cents.

but nowadays unlimited bandwith is very common. Space and bandwidth is of course 2 diff things.

Not unlinmited space to user. . is unlimited brandwith to anyone . So that less cost for spidey.

Maybe I still dun get a grip of CMS and I dun like it ..

Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chubby wrote:
Solonavi wrote:

Cheers
JC

is that you .. in your red car ?

if you wan to have the HTML link of that image .. can it be done easily with this web program ?

Oh damn. Forget to hide that category. Yup. Its me. Handsome or not? :P

As to HTML link, no. It will not create the url for u like those u see in photobucket.

Cheers
JC

Multiply
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry ah...allow me to be the devil's advocate here Razz

what's the purpose of this gallery thingy? the only photos the members, or rather most members, are interested in are those of
their btos, which RN53 is already doing in the respective threads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sengkang.com Forum Index -> WELCOME, FEEDBACK & SUGGESTIONS All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: